How To Reheat Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Without Stuff Ups!]
Cabbage rolls are fantastic homemade delights that bring ground beef, cabbage leaves, and tomato sauce together. However, there are times when you just have way too many rolls, and when this happens, you need to store them for later consumption. Hence, you need to learn how to reheat stuffed cabbage rolls after keeping them in the fridge or freezer.
You can reheat stuffed cabbage rolls in an oven, on a stove, or in a microwave. The time it takes depends on the method you decide to use.
This article covers how to reheat cabbage rolls using different methods and store them after reheating. Read on to find out.
How to Reheat Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Using an Oven
Using an oven is the best way to heat your cabbage rolls, and this is because you can heat the cabbage rolls evenly. Also, the cabbage leaves won’t get soggy, and the meat and rice won’t dry out.
The best part about this method is that you can heat the cabbage rolls directly from the fridge or freezer.
Sadly, the best method is also the longest method. But, with the results you get from using this method, you won’t regret the wait.
To reheat your cabbage rolls in an oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the rolls in a baking dish, pan, or broiler pan. Put some more tomato sauce on top of the cabbage rolls.
- Now, cover the rolls with aluminum foil and allow them to heat for 30 to 45 minutes. The rolls should be heated thoroughly.
- If they are not hot enough, you can leave them in longer. However, ensure you check on them every five minutes.
- Take out your heated cabbage rolls and enjoy.
How to Reheat Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Using a Stove
You might not get the same reheating results as you would using an oven, but a stove is a great way to reheat your cabbage rolls.
With a stove, you can heat your rolls faster than you would with an oven. Also, you can move the rolls around easier, and the simmering of the sauce will lead to a bolder flavor.
To reheat cabbage rolls using a stove:
- Defrost your rolls if they are frozen.
- Place the cabbage rolls in a non-stick pan (a regular pan should be just fine). Ensure you use a pan large enough to contain all your rolls. If you have too many, you can heat them in batches. Do not cram the rolls into the pan.
- Use a spoon to add some extra sauce onto your rolls; this will add some moisture to them.
- Place the pan on the stove and leave the heat on low. You should bring the sauce to a simmer. The simmering will indicate how well the rolls are being heated. You can add it to the sauce to boil the rolls a little if you have some stock.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave the rolls on the stove for about 15 minutes. During this period, ensure you move the rolls around and turn them over every three to four minutes.
- If your rolls are not hot enough after 15 minutes, you can leave them on the stove longer. Just remember to check on them every minute or two.
- Afterward, transfer them onto a plate and serve.
How to Reheat Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Using a Microwave
The thing with a microwave is that you can use it to make cabbage rolls from scratch. Therefore, it only makes sense that you can easily heat your rolls using a microwave.
Using a microwave is the fastest way to reheat your cabbage rolls, and you can do so in just a few minutes. Also, you can heat them while frozen.
The drawback of using a microwave is that you can never predict the results. Some areas may be piping hot, while others not so much. Fortunately, you can quickly sort this issue out.
Here are steps to reheat cabbage rolls using a microwave:
- Place your rolls in a microwave-safe dish and add some sauce over the rolls.
- Use plastic wrap to cover the dish to allow the rolls to steam and stay moist while keeping the sauce from drying out.
- After heating, leave the rolls to sit for about a minute, then check to see if they are hot enough. If they are, leave them under the plastic wrap for another minute to ensure heat distributes evenly.
- If your rolls are not warm enough, you can keep heating them at one-minute intervals until you get your desired hotness.
- Remove the rolls from the microwave, onto a place, and serve.
How to Store Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Storing leftover cabbage rolls is relatively easy, and you can store them in a fridge or freezer. Here’s how.
Using a Fridge
Your cabbage rolls can last up to four days in the fridge after reheating.
To store them in the fridge:
- Ensure they have cooled down completely.
- After, cover them in plastic wrap or an airtight container. If you are using plastic wrap, ensure you double wrap the rolls in aluminum foil for added protection.
- Place the rolls in the fridge.
Using a Freezer
Cabbage rolls can last up to one month in the freezer before losing flavor. However, it can last longer (several months) without going bad.
Here’s how to freeze cabbage rolls:
- Allow the rolls to cool down completely.
- Separate the sauce from the rolls. This is to ensure the sauce does not ruin the rolls’ texture and taste.
- Place the rolls in a ziplock bag or an airtight container. It is important that you make the packaging as secure as possible to avoid the formation of too many ice crystals or freeze burn.
- Pour the sauce into another ziplock bag or airtight container.
- Place the rolls and sauce in the freezer.