Shredded chicken is an ingredient you can use to make other foods like burgers. This meal is also heavenly when prepared as a main dish. There is no harm in preparing it in bulk, storing it in the freezer, and reheating it when you want to use it. Is it possible to reheat shredded chicken without drying it up?
You can reheat shredded chicken in an oven, microwave, stovetop, and air fryer. Unlike the uncut chicken, this meal is pretty easy to warm up since the small pieces can all attain and retain heat within a short span. Even so, it can easily burn or turn out mushy unless you take the necessary measures to retain its humidity.
If you have ever tried to reheat refrigerated chicken before, then you know it tends to dry or lose its flavor easily. Yet, this doesn’t mean that it is impossible to preserve its tenderness and moisture. Stick around to find out what you should do so your chicken turns out as though it has been freshly prepared.
How to Reheat Shredded Chicken in an Oven
The conventional and toaster ovens are perfect for reheating most meat foods. They take much more time than other mediums, but they are less likely to mess you up. To reheat your leftover shredded chicken in an oven:
- Thaw the chicken overnight in the refrigerator or defrost it in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line an oven-safe dish with foil and place the chicken in it. Ensure to evenly spread out the food because the middle part may not attain heat if you fail to.
- If the chicken is dry, sprinkle a little olive oil on it, then cover using aluminum foil.
- Bake the chicken till the internal temperature gets to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can reheat it at 10 minute intervals as you stop to stir and check its temperature.
- When ready, remove the food from the oven and let it stand for 3 minutes.
How to Reheat Shredded Chicken in a Microwave
This method is the easiest and fastest, but not for everyone. If you are not ready to reheat the food at short intervals as you stir, maybe you should pick another option.
- Make sure to thaw the chicken in advance.
- Place the chicken in a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle some water on it.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap or dampened paper towels.
- Reheat in 40-60 seconds increments as you stir and check its temperature.
- Remove the food from the microwave and let it cool for a minute.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to Reheat Shredded Chicken on a Stovetop
Professionals prefer the stove method because it is less of a gamble. By keeping an eye on your chicken, you can hardly mess it up. To reheat your leftover shredded chicken on a stovetop:
- Place a nonstick pan on the stove on medium heat.
- Add a little butter, olive oil, or water to the pan and preheat for a minute.
- Add chicken to the pan and stir consequently.
- Using a food thermometer, assess if the internal food temperature is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit before removing it from the stove.
- Your chicken should be ready to serve.
How to Reheat Shredded Chicken in an Air Fryer
Use the air fryer method if you want well-textured chicken for your burger or appetizer. Most people love this method because it is convenient for frozen foods.
- Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle some melted butter or water to the chicken and wrap it in foil to avoid messing up your air fryer.
- Place the chicken in the fryer basket and warm for 5 minutes or more. The time depends on whether you had defrosted it or not.
- When ready, serve and get ready to whip up an appetite!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I store Leftover Shredded Chicken?
It is not complicated to store chicken because it stays fresh in the fridge or freezer. To store your leftover shredded chicken in the fridge, let it cool, then place it in an air-tight container or plastic bag. Next, put it in the refrigerator, where it can last a maximum of four days.
Cooked shredded chicken lasts up to six months in the freezer. Before putting in the freezer, take small portions of the chicken and put them in freezer-safe bags or air-tight containers. Ensure to label the date of storage and the anticipated date of expiry.
How Can I Reheat Shredded Chicken Without Overcooking?
Shredded chicken is extensively soft, so it is easy to ruin the food while reheating it. You can avoid this by sticking to reheating temperatures of 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, remember, you are reheating your food, not recooking it, so never reheat for a long period. Always warm up your food in time increments; this way, you can tell when it is ready.