Reuben sandwiches are great since you can serve them to your loved ones when they give you a surprise visit. Luckily, even when you produce them in excess, you can store and eat them later. So, how do you reheat Reuben sandwich and still enjoy it?
Reheating Reuben sandwiches require sensitive approaches to ensure you do not end with a soggy dish. Using a pan, oven, microwave, and toaster oven are the best ways of reheating your Reuben.
When reheating the leftover Reuben, consider dismantling the fillings for later and refrigerating separately. Read on as I show you how to reheat your sandwich without ruining it.
Reheating your sandwich using an oven is a sure way of ensuring your sandwich gets heated without drying or getting soggy. It takes longer to heat, but the method is preferable since the results are incredible.
- Start by preheating your oven to 3500F. Preheating your oven ensures that your sandwich starts getting warm the moment you put it in. It also helps prevent drying, caused by keeping it in the oven for long.
- As the oven preheats, spread an aluminum foil on your kitchen table.
- Assemble your Reuben and arrange the pieces on the foil. Wrap each sandwich with a piece of foil, ensuring all the edges are adequately covered. Exposing the parts will leave them super dry.
- Arrange the pieces on the mesh or baking tray and put them in the oven. Let them heat for approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and carefully unwrap one of the pieces to check their readiness. The foil will be hot, so some tongs will be helpful in unwrapping to prevent getting burned.
- Return the sandwiches to the oven if they are not heated properly for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Once ready, remove from the oven and unwrap the pieces. Serve while still hot and enjoy.
2. Fry Pan
Pan-frying is another efficient method of reheating your Reuben. It is also a long process that requires a lot of patience.
- Brush a frying pan with a bit of butter to heat the bread. It prevents the bread from burning and gives it a crunchy texture.
- Light your stove/cooker in low heat and put on the buttered pan. Allow it to heat evenly before putting your slices on.
- Turn the slices at small intervals (about 4 minutes) to ensure the bread does not burn and that it heats evenly.
- When the slices are ready, you can heat the fillings in the pan under medium heat while turning to prevent them from overcooking.
- Alternatively, you can use a microwave to heat the fillings at medium-low temperature. When the temperatures are perfect, remove it from the microwave.
- Put the fillings on the bread and serve immediately.
Tip: When microwaving the fillings, do not be tempted to keep them long in the microwave. You will mess up your sandwich.
3. Toaster Oven
It is another incredible technique of reheating your Reuben that resembles that of a conventional oven. A toaster oven has excellent air circulation, which makes it perfect for reheating your sandwich.
- Turn your toaster oven to 3500F and let it preheat.
- When the toaster is getting ready, use aluminum foil to wrap your sandwiches. Cover them nicely to ensure none of the parts is left exposed.
- Put the sandwiches in the preheated toaster to heat. If they are many, consider reheating them in batches to reduce the time for preheating and have your sandwiches evenly heated.
- Heat for 5 minutes and remove from the toaster for turning. Return them and let heat for another 5 minutes.
- When ready, switch off the power source and remove the Reuben from the toaster oven. Serve immediately.
Use this method as your last option. Most people fail to efficiently use a microwave when reheating their Reuben sandwiches, leaving them with a soggy and inedible sandwich. It only takes you a few minutes, unlike the other techniques I have covered on this list.
- Use kitchen paper towels to cover your sandwiches fully. These are important since they help absorb moisture, which often causes sogginess.
- Place the sandwiches on the microwave plate without overcrowding. Again, putting the sandwiches apart prevents the possibility of sweating.
- Heat the Reuben sandwiches on high heat for 2 – 3 minutes while stopping mid-way from checking if they have heated enough. Repeat until they are perfectly warm.
- Remove them from the microwave when ready and unwrap the paper towels. Serve immediately as preferred.
I hope you no longer have to throw your Reuben sandwiches. Dismantle them before storing to prevent them from becoming soggy, and assemble the ingredients when ready to reheat and eat.