Meal prepping is the ultimate time and energy saver. You can prep a whole meal or just the materials for the meal. Meal prepping simply means preparing a meal or a part of it ahead of time. Doing this will save you cooking time, especially during the week. With that said, there are times when you would have to reheat meal prep.
You can reheat meal prep using several appliances, including a stove, a microwave, an oven, a stove, or a toaster oven. These methods are straightforward and take little time to see through.
The article will show you the exact steps you need to take to ensure you properly reheat your meal prep. You will also find tips on how to store your meal prep. Read on to find out more.
How to Reheat Meal Prep on the Stove
Any meal prepared on the stove can also be reheated on the stove. Using a stove might require more time than other methods, but it is very efficient. There is a long list of meals you can reheat on the stove, some of which include stews, soups, and baked food.
Using a stove to reheat meal prep helps you control the temperature better. Also, reheating time will depend on the quantity of meal you intend to reheat.
Follow these steps to reheat meal prep on the stove:
- Set the stove to medium or low temperature. Heating on high heat can burn your meal.
- Add some water, oil, or butter to the pot or skillet before or after adding the meal prep to the pot. The presence of any of these will help the meal to retain moisture.
- Cover the pot or pan with a lid so moisture does not escape.
- Stir the meal from time to time or flip it over until well heated.
How to Reheat Meal Prep Using a Microwave
Using a microwave is often the fastest way to reheat meals. You can also reheat most meals you can reheat on the stove in a microwave.
Here is how to reheat meal prep using a microwave:
- Put the meal prep in the microwave-safe plate and cover with a lid. Leave the top slightly covered, so it doesn’t trap or lose too much moisture. Use a paper towel in the absence of a safe plate lid.
- Set the microwave to low, medium, or high heat, depending on the meal’s ingredients.
- Pour two to three teaspoons of oil, butter, or water into the recipe depending on the quantity and stir.
- Heat for one to two minutes if you are reheating a small portion of meal prep. Heat for three to six minutes if the quantity is much larger. You can also leave for longer if need be. Stir the meal during the reheating process, so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove the meal prep from the microwave once hot and serve immediately.
How to Reheat Meal Prep Using an Oven
As a rule of thumb, any meal you can prepare with a certain appliance, you can also use to reheat the meal. This means that you can reheat meals you prepare in an oven using an oven.
The oven requires a longer reheating time than others, but it is usually the most effective method for reheating. Use your oven when you are not in a hurry.
Here is how to reheat meal prep using an oven:
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 350°F.
- Wrap the meal in aluminum foil. This process helps to prevent burning or excessive loss of moisture.
- For a small portion of meal prep, heat for about 5 to 10 minutes. Check after five minutes and stir the meal. Ensure to flip over meals that do not require mixing.
- For a large portion of meal prep, heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Check after 12 minutes to either stir or flip over.
- Remove the meal from the oven once the heat has been distributed evenly.
How to Reheat Meal Prep Using a Toaster Oven
Toaster ovens are great for reheating crispy meals such as sandwiches, burritos, pizza, etc. Wondering why? Toaster ovens produce and circulate warm air within, and this helps them keep the entire meal crispy at all times.
Also, since you can keep your bread meals directly on the rack inside the toaster, moisture has no way of touching the bottom.
This is how to use a toaster oven to reheat meal prep:
- Set the toaster to medium heat.
- Place the meal prep inside the oven. You can either wrap them or place them directly inside.
- Heat for two to four minutes.
- Check the meal to know how well it is doing.
- Once it is hot and crispy, remove and serve.
Tips for Storing Meal Prep
You should store meal prep in the fridge or freezer. The ingredients present in the meal prep will determine the best storage facility and how long they will last. Meal-prepped food often lasts for about three to six days in the refrigerator but will last much longer in the freezer.