Scallops are a delicious meal that tastes great when freshly made and steaming hot. It is pretty important to keep the right temperature when cooking or heating scallops. A significant change in the temperature can alter the outcome of the taste and texture. This is why you need to reheat cooked scallops properly.
You can reheat your scallops using different home appliances. They include the oven, microwave, and stove. These are all easy methods to try out.
There are several methods to heat cooked scallops with or without sauce. This article shows you how to properly heat cooked scallops at the right temperature. Also, cooked scallops are fast and easy to reheat. Remember to use a thermometer if you have one to test the internal temperature and avoid overcooking.
How to Reheat Cooked Scallops Using a Microwave
For some individuals reheating their scallops with a microwave is the best method, while for others, using a microwave is simply not the best option. It all depends on you and what you like. You can try it out and see if it works for you.
Here are the steps to reheat cooked scallops using a microwave:
- Remove the preserved scallops from the refrigerator or freezer and allow them to defrost for a while.
- Pour in some sauce or cooking juice on the microwave-safe plate and place the scallops. You can use water in the absence of cooking juice.
- Cover the microwave-safe plate with a lid or wrap loosely with a paper towel.
- Set the microwave timer for 30 seconds and the power at 90 percent if you are reheating a large portion of scallops and sauce. Set the timer for 20 seconds and the power at 90 percent for a smaller size.
- Check the scallops to know if they are hot enough. The best way to do this is by using a thermometer, but if you don’t have one, you decide by the amount of steam it gives off.
- If they are not hot enough, stir them a bit, then heat for an extra 15 seconds at the same power of 90 percent.
- Once they are well heated, take them out and enjoy.
How to Reheat Cooked Scallops Using an Oven
Reheating cooked scallops using an oven is great, but you should know that the cooling process takes a long time. The oven often overheats scallops, so you can’t serve them right out of the oven. This means that the scallops can take about 2 hours to cool down to room temperature.
Having to wait that long before enjoying a meal is not fun. Also, it is not advisable to leave fish sitting on the counter for that long.
With that said, here is how to use an oven to reheat cooked scallops:
- Remove the scallops from the freezer and allow them to defrost for a few hours.
- Turn on the oven and preheat to a degree of 275°F.
- Pour some cooking juice or sauce into a baking pan and place the scallops in the center.
- Close the baking pan with a well-fitted lid or cover it tightly with a foil. Exposing the scallops to external heat or moisture while baking can make a mess of them.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes and check the temperature afterward.
- Heat for an extra 5 minutes to get it to the right temperature. If they are not hot enough, you can leave them for a few more minutes.
- Take out the scallops from the baking pan once hot and allow them to cool.
- Serve your delicious scallops.
How to Reheat Cooked Scallops Using a Stove
When you decide to reheat your scallop on the stove, you have to choose to either reheat it with or without sauce. However, the best way to reheat scallops on the stove is with sauce.
Luckily, I will show you how to reheat scallops on the stove, either bare or using sauce. Here’s how:
Reheating With Sauce
- Set the stove burner at medium-low heat and pour the scallop sauce into a skillet or non-stick pan.
- Stir the sauce consistently until it is very hot.
- Place the scallops in the sauce and cook until it gets to your desired temperature.
- Bring down the sauce and scallop from the stove and enjoy your meal.
Reheating Without Sauce
Here is how to reheat your scallop without sauce.
- Remove the scallops from the fridge or freezer and allow them to defrost for a few hours.
- Set the stove to low or medium heat and place a skillet on the stove.
- Place the scallops in the skillet, cover the skillet and allow the scallop to steam for 3 minutes.
- Flip the scallop and heat for three more minutes until it reaches your desired hotness.
- Turn off the burner and serve.