Anyone who has tasted espresso cookies can testify to how delightful they are. This classic shortbread cookie has a rich and deep flavor of coffee and it is absolutely delicious! Although the espresso hint is quite strong, it doesn’t overpower the sweet buttery flavor. You will definitely love them and they will keep your taste buds craving for some more after preparing this buttery crunch.
Alongside the satisfaction they serve, coffee cookies are healthy. These cookies offer benefits similar to the benefits of green tea because of the antioxidants found in coffee. Espresso cookies are easy to make and they would also make a wonderful gift treat to give to friends and family. Ready? Let’s get right to the recipe!
Delicious Espresso Cookie Recipe
This recipe is an amazing cookie recipe to add to the espresso recipes you plan to try during the holidays. Espresso powder and chocolate bring out the best in each other so get ready for your soft, chewy, fresh and coffee-filled chocolate cookie.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- Half a teaspoon of instant espresso powder
- ¾ all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Half cup (1 stick) of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Half a cup dark chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt to garnish (optional)
- First preheat your oven to 350 F and then line your baking pans with some parchment paper
- Pour the dry ingredients (espresso powder, baking soda, flour and salt) into a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Add the softened butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar into a mixer. Beat the mixture until there are no clumps of butter.
- Add the egg to the butter mixture, stir well until it is lightened in color and then add vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Transfer dry ingredients to the mixture above and mix until they are well combined. You can then add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons measure of the chocolate espresso cookie dough onto the baking sheets. A cookie scoop is a good option for uniformly sized cookies. Make sure each scoop is placed about 3 inches apart. You can add some flaky sea salt on top to deepen the flavor if you want.
- Press down each coffee cookie dough to ensure they are evenly spread. You can now bake the cookies for about 15 minutes. They are ready when the edges are set and the centers are puffed.
- After the cookies are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool on the pan for 10 minutes.
- Next transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool properly at room temperature.
- Your cookies are ready to be eaten. You can serve them with extra chocolate chips on top. You can also have a glass of milk, a cup of coffee, or some ice cream along with these cookies.
Using quality ingredients is important to get that chewy and buttery result. So whether you are making these cookies for dessert or a cookie party keep these tips in mind to get the perfect cookie result:
- Do not overbake the cookie so it doesn’t come out dry and cakey.
- Properly measure your ingredients using a kitchen scale to avoid any unpleasant results.
- Make sure all the ingredients used are fresh.
- When transferring the dry ingredients to the egg+butter mixture don’t overmix. You can simply mix until it is just combined.
- You can use the following substitutes if you are having trouble finding some ingredients:
- All-purpose flour: gluten-free 1 to 1 flour
- Espresso powder: Any quality instant coffee powder
- Vanilla extract: Almond extract
- Unsalted butter: Salted butter (but skip adding salt to the recipe)
- Baking soda: Baking powder
- Dark chocolate chips: Milk or semisweet chocolate chips
- Let the baked cookie rest for about 10 minutes after it is done so it can become chewy.
How to Make Espresso Cookie Ahead, Thaw and Store
You can follow the above steps to enjoy your extra rich and flavorful espresso cookies as soon as possible. Nonetheless you should know that this cookie freezes well. In fact it is possible to prepare it for later at three different levels.
Level One: Just Before Scooping (Cookie Dough)
You can store your cookie dough for later before scooping it into the baking pans. Simply transfer the dough into a plastic airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days until you are ready to bake it. The dough can also last for up to two months when placed in the freezer.
Level Two: After Scooping
If your dough has already been scooped into a baking sheet you can also store it. Simply place the baking pan in the freezer till the cookie dough is frozen. Next bring out the pan from the freezer and transfer the frozen cookie dough into an airtight container. You can then store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Level Three: After Baking
After baking the cookies you can store them for later in a ziplock bag for about seven days. If you want them to last longer wrap them up tightly and place them in a freezer bag. Also make sure to date the freezer bag. When you are ready to eat the stored cookie simply reheat it in the microwave for 20 seconds before eating. This helps to give them that fresh oven taste once again.
To thaw out the frozen cookie dough first place it in the fridge the previous night. Next leave it out at room temperature before baking.
You can experience the bliss of cookies rich in chocolate and coffee with this Espresso cookie recipe. I bet that It will become one of your favorite recipes once you’ve tried it out.
They are made from staple traditional cookie ingredients that are easily available. Make sure to follow the instructions properly so you prep the right ingredients. Once you have all you need get busy with your hands. Soon your espresso cookie will be ready to eat!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure to learn more.